Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Chestnuts Roasting...(you know the rest)

It's not likely that you'll find any chestnuts roasting on an open fire in New York City.  It might be more apropos to sing about greasy hot dogs or pretzels smothered in mustard.

But in Italy during winter, chestnuts are being roasted on street corners everywhere.  This weekend I had my first taste of one, and then 2, 3, and 4.  They were delicious!  A bit nutty and a delightful texture, it was like a juicy peach tastes on a hot  
summer day.  Just right.

Could it be that Mel Tormé's 1944 hit, "The Christmas  Song" was inspired by time he spent in Italy?  Let's see:
  • Chestnuts roasting on an open fire (check)
  • Folks dressed up like Eskimos (check)
  • Jack Frost nipping at my nose (check...he's not exactly nipping, more like chopping down on my bitterly cold nose as I ride my bike to work at 6:30am)
  • A turkey and some mistletoe.  Hmm.  Turkey (check...see Thanksgiving) but I've yet to land underneath anyone's mistletoe.
  • Yuletide carols being sung by a choir.  (check... if you count my 13-year-old students singing High School Musical 2)
Well, wherever Mel sought inspiration I am glad he put pen to paper and whipped out this Christmas classic.  It's an all-time favorite of mine.  And now that I'm in my post-chestnut-eating glory, I'm even more in the Christmas spirit!  

Merry Merry!  

Photo credit:  rubbahslippahsinitaly.blogspot.com

No comments: