Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Free Eats Day 9: A Tasty Update

I've passed my one week mark, still feeling good, and finding a plethora of diverse snacks to satisfy almost all of my cravings. I'd still love to find a nice fat eel and avocado roll, but hey, Free Eaters can't be choosers! Health-wise, last week's diet ran the gamut. On the nutritious side, I've eaten locally grown apples, organic corn salad, braised fennel, hummus and even freshly pan-seared tilapia.

On the more glutinous side, well, the list is long: Dark chocolate, gelato, pizza, artisinal cheeses, cured meats, chips, brownies, and to-die-for bread pudding. I think my fat intake has even been upped this week, despite the small portions! I haven't bought any groceries, ordered takeout or paid for a restaurant tab in nine days, allowing me to put more money towards my looming college loans.

Although I began this experiment out of curiosity, I'm saving a heck of a lot of cash-o-la and may not shutting down my Free Eats operation any time soon. Through this week's research I've discovered dozens of free and cheap specials around the city, and will continue to share my tips as the list keeps growing.
As any New Yorker can attest, New York City is a miserable place to save money. Those who choose to reside here often sacrifice savings to pay astronomical expenses, but we do it to experience the magic of the greatest city in the world. Free Eats Week was a reminder to myself that, with a little perseverance, creativity and an open mind, there are alternative ways to save...and have delicious fun in the process!

4 comments:

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Kudos! Sounds like it was a fun experiment if not good for your waistline, but bad for your general health. I'd attempt it myself to jumpstart my diet but in Italy I would never find any freebies! :)

The Riz Experience said...

congrats on getting past the one week mark! I'll definitely get my sampling on and save me some dough for more important things in my life in NYC...like a nightlife or something.

Zorluhan Zorlu said...

great idea. I never thought this could indeed be done. good tips for travelers. keep it up! pls let me know if you need any advertising around this blog.

Anonymous said...

I love your idea... I'll take you out to din din if you want a free meal!