Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free Eats Day 7: Salsa y Chips

My social life, has been rather non-existent this week. Despite putting several invitations out there, none of my girlfriends are jumping at the chance to have a free sample soirée. And I haven't quite perfected my dating strategy yet...

Date: Hey Courtney, would you like to have dinner this week?
Me: Uhh, sure, Wendesday at 5pm is perfect. Whole Foods...in the produce section...I'll bring the ziplocs, you bring the sporks.

Date: Errr...ummm...(click)


But on my seventh night (Sunday) I had long-standing plans with a dear friend to listen to Chris Washburne's afro-cubano band at my favorite jazz club, Smoke, in Harlem. He was totally open to joining the free eatathon so I hit Deal Feed and other recession special sites in search of a dinner deal a la Dell'Anima. I stumbled upon these threads for free chips and salsa, which led me to Mama Mexico on Broadway and 102nd St.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/222601
http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2008/02/29/getting-a-chip-off-my-shoulder/

Cheap drinks, NO! Festive free toonage, YES, and what looked like incredible guac, but I'll have to try that on my next visit or maybe never...it's $11 a pop!!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that not violate the free-ness? you have to pay for drinks... so the price of chips and salsa is built into the drinks

gansie @ endless simmer said...

glad you found our rant on the availability of free chips useful. and i LOVE your glasses.