Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yo Ho Yo Ho...A Pirate's Life For Me

I voyaged across Venice's savage seas one glistening afternoon in search of some rare pirate's booty - Murano's hand-blow glass.

The bow of the ship was packed with other treasure hunters, but I lucky snagged a seat on the stern, across from these two jolly mates. They seemed like old childhood friends and they had such playful banter, as many Italians do. I was captivated by them and kept staring at the one in the shrunken yellow beanie. It was as if I already knew him. Was he from Treviso? Was he the same man that I crashed into with my bike? And then it hit me...

He's Mr. Smee, Captain Hook's lovable right-hand man in Disney's Peter Pan! Of course! A real pirate only 20 minutes from home. Who would have thought?

No comments: